You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Few events are more alarming for any concerned pet owner than the sight of a beloved dog or cat displaying signs of poison ingestion. If your pet has been poisoned, you must act immediately -- but you must also make certain that those actions are the correct ones to save your pet's life. Here at Fullerton Animal Hospital, we can administer the right treatments to treat pet poisoning cases quickly and effectively.
You might not realize it, but your Baltimore pets are constantly surrounded by substances that could poison them. Common poisons include:
Typical symptoms of pet poisoning may include vomiting or diarrhea (with or without blood), nosebleeds, lethargy, loss of appetite and seizures. If you suspect that your dog or cat has ingested a poisonous substance, call Fullerton Animal Hospital right away for critical advice on how to proceed. Depending on the substance ingested, we may urge you not to induce vomiting, since some poisons can enter the lungs or do other damage on their way back up. We'll refer you to a trusted 24-hour emergency clinic for after-hours emergencies.
Treatment for poison ingestion may involve administering emetics to make your pet throw up the poison (if advisable); an alternative, we may administer activated charcoal products that neutralize the poison within the stomach. Your veterinarian will also provide IV fluids as needed and work to normalize your pet's vital signs.
If your pet is your best friend, there's no better way to reciprocate than to save him from poison ingestion. Call our vet clinic at (410) 665-6996 and/or rush your pet over to us for treatment!